Total Cook Time: 1hr 30min. Makes: one 9in pie.
THE BEST PART OF THIS RECIPE IS THAT IT IS KID APPROVED!
Both my toddlers and my husband love this meal.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- ice water
TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless cubed chicken
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth (*optional see footnote)
- 2/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
TO MAKE THE PIE FILLING:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a pot, combine chicken, carrots, and peas. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Drain chicken and vegetable mixture. ****Instead of store bought chicken broth, save 1 3/4 cup of water from this in a pitcher.
- Now its time to make a roux! In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in butter until translucent. Stir in flour and celery seed. Stir in milk and chicken broth*. Simmer over medium low heat until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Line a buttered pie pan with one of the pie crusts and add the chicken and vegetables.
- Pour hot liquid mixture over, cover with remaining pie crust and seal edges.
- Make several slits in the top of the crust for steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do! This recipe is amazing for leftovers, or freeze to cook later! If you have tried it please let me know what you think in the comments below!